Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ryan's blog

I read one of Ryan's entries in which he talks about a possible research projecting investigating US non-intervention politics during the war. The topic sounds very interesting, and a good base for a research paper. The politics are so complicated; the leaders appear untrustworthy and slippery - it would be a fascinating paper.

From peeking at later entries, it seems like Ryan altered his topic to focus on those in the US who advocated intervention; how they came to believe that the US should intervene; what actions they took to influence those in power; and what impact they had. This topic is less interesting to me. Everyone we have read about has been pro-intervention and yet the nation kept up the embargo and didn't aid the Republic. For some reason, the pleas of the interventionalists to the government went unheeded, even calls for action from prominent figures such as Langston Hughes, Albert Einstein, and Hemingway. Although the situations are vastly different, one recent political dilemma reminds me of Roosevelt's: President Clinton's decision to stay out of Rwanda during the 1994 genocide. Speaking in Kigali four years later, he expressed regret and basically told the Rwandans that he didn't understand the situation at the time - "All over the world there were people like me sitting in offices who did not fully appreciate the depth and speed with which you were being engulfed by this unimaginable terror." (The Nation) The facts suggest that Clinton knew full well the depth of the terror going on in Rwanda, but still failed to intervene. The Washington editor of The Nation thinks that the 1992-93 intervention in Somalia in which the US initially went in to combat a hunger epidemic and were drawn into battles among feuding warlords in which US soldiers died may have made Clinton hesitate from entering another African crisis.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your candor. I also find my current topic less interesting than my original idea, but so much has already been written about my original line of inquiry that my research would be concentrated in books and my paper would, to a significant extent, just outline the ideas of many historians before me. By altering my topic (see my "Research Post #1 Update") I hope to use the archives much more than I would have otherwise, and make a somewhat original contribution to our knowledge of the political media surrounding the volunteers. If you are interested to see what information and insights have already been dug up about my original line of inquiry there are two books I recommend:

    1) Franklin D. Roosevelt and American Foreign Policy, 1932-1945 by Robert Dallek
    2) American Diplomacy and the Spanish Civil War by Richard P. Traina

    If you have any other suggestions as to how I can make my current project more interesting, I am all ears.

    ReplyDelete